Monday, September 11, 2006

The Campus, Day 1


Today was a day when I experienced a lot. I was amazed when I saw the skill and compassion with which the people who work at the Campus for Human Development do their jobs. I was pretty freaked out by a confrontation in the alley. I was also suprised and happy with many of the people who I met.

My day started by finding my way into the Campus, which is really just two big warehouse type buildings thathave been wonderfully renovated into space that can serve Nashville's homeless population. The interior is brightly colored and is decorated by a ton of artwork which was done by participants at the Campus. Education is the key word there, which is why this center for the homeless is not called a "mission" or a "homeless shelter." The founders of the Campus wanted the people who use its services (called participants) to feel a sense of pride in being associated with the program. I will be working most mornings as the first person that will greet participants at the support desk, where they come to get bus passes, find out what programs are being offered, learn where lunch is being served that day, or ask whatever question they might have. They will also sign up to ride on the free shuttle bus that goes numerous places in Nashville such as the VA Hospital (a huge percentage of the homeless population is made up of veterans), a pharmacy, doctors offices, dollar stores, and more. I noticed the chaos that I will have to deal with each day at the support desk. I will also be identifying those who are drunk or high, and help get them to the Campus' Guest House program. We sent two individuals there today--one who was drunk and one who was high on some drug. Many gentlemen came to the desk wanting referrals to drug and alcohol treatment programs.

Before lunch, I got to see first hand what everyone had been preparing me for in orientation meetings. A gentleman who was very drunk decided to leave the Guest House, where the Nashville police will also take individuals instead of jail. Participants who are under the influence have the choice to go to the Guest House or leave the property. Since my new friend Richard decided to leave the Guest House, it was the staff's job to let him know that he would have to leave for the day. My very talented supervisor Mary and experienced Campus staff member Maggie invited me to help them (okay, I wasn't much help, but I watched) let Richard know that he would have to leave. We walked him down the alley, where he decided that he didn't want to leave, and he came back after we stood arguing with him. So, we got to chase him up stairs to the administrative offices where he fled and finally convinced him to leave as he shouted insults at us. It was amazing to see Maggie and Mary confront him and try to talk to him. They did a very difficult job in such a loving way, even when this man was insulting them. They say that he is normally a very nice man, and that they expect he will come and apologize tomorrow.

The afternoon is much quieter. My job will be sorting mail and handing it out, which I enjoyed doing today. I already recognize several of the names of participants. It is very important to the Campus that each staff member calls participants by name.

I am looking forward to the new opportunities I will have this year at the Campus for Human Development. It is a place that is far beyond being a soup kitchen and night shelter (in fact, it is neither of those things). The Campus is a place where people who are at the bottom of society's ladder can come and gain access to services that they need and develop community with one another in a nonviolent setting. The time during the day when the Campus is open provides a shelter from the scary world of homelessness and gives us an opportunity to serve those who need us the most.

No comments: