Friday, July 27, 2007

Blogging the Campus Values: LOVE

This is the sixth in a series (see the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth) of blog posts with some guest writers. I have asked some of my co-workers from the Campus for Human Development to write some personal reflections on the seven core values that are contained in our mission statement:

“Through the power of spirituality and the practice of love, the Campus for Human Development provides hospitality with a respect that offers hope in a community of non-violence.”

In this post, following a reflection on love by our founder, Charlie Strobel, Maggie tells about the love she’s experienced in her years of volunteering and working at the Campus and tells about the tranformation of relationships that can happen when love is practiced.

* * * * * * * * * *


Charles Strobel:

The Campus for Human Development believes that love is a power that expresses itself in action. There is thought without action and action without thought. Love is divine thought in action. Good intentions without follow-through, as well as thoughtlessness, create additional hardships on anyone in need of the loving support of others. Sometimes permanent solutions and long-term answers are not always available. Sometimes it seems there is never enough to make it—never enough beds, enough food, enough words of comfort. But there is always love. It comes from friends, from the volunteers and staff who are there to take us in when our spirits are drooping. In our weakness love is healing and restorative of our own self-love. Such love begins with an unconditional concern for our well-being. It is liberating for it drives out our fear by encouraging us to believe in our inner worth and beauty. Love keeps us in relationships, rather than leaving us to face our journey alone.

* * * * * * * * * *



Guest Blogger: Maggie Jones

To me, the Campus is just an extension of my family- and probably the less nutty side.

My journey with the Campus began in 1992, at the age of eleven. Back then, Sunday nights at Room in the Inn were filled with the love of my family and participants, all of whom I would “grow up” with. Eventually, I moved on to graduate high school, moved off to college, and, ultimately, found my way back to the Campus in October of 2005.

While volunteering at such a young age, I never truly understood the impact that the Campus would have on my life. It is only in the past year and a half that I have come to realize all of the love that surrounds me each day. It is in the smiles we share, the pouring out of hearts, it is even in the pieces of candy and gum that our participants bestow on us at the support desk each morning. One of my favorite examples of is when one of our more gruff participants, whom we all know and love, comes up to me and says, “I remember you when you were this big,” as he hold out his hand, as a proud grandparent might. He is also quick to remind me that if I act out of line that he will “tell my mamma” on me. All of this, not out of disrespect, but because he knows my family, and has a sense of love for us- even though he would die if he ever had to admit to it.

As I write this entry at my desk, there is a quote hanging in front of me which reads: “Everyday we are called to small things with great love.” I posted this where I could see it everyday, so that I may be reminded that it is not the huge milestones or great fetes that I will be remembered for. Rather, it is for the small things; the warm greetings, non-judgmental advice, and the sympathizing ear-this is what the men and women of the Campus will remember me for. Compared with those things, the love, respect and just plain good feelings that I receive back are far more numerous. Any staff person would agree that while we do have off days, we ultimately receive more than we could give here.

One final example I would like to share happened during the Christmas season of 2005. As I and a handful of guys were working on decorating that year’s Christmas tree, a particularly difficult participant approached and asked if he could help. Of course I let him, not wanting to deny anyone the opportunity. I admit that I did have some apprehension. I wasn’t sure if someone would trigger him and he would end up throwing an ornament in a fit of rage, or if I might receive some of his more usual verbal abuse that day. What I received, instead, was an irreplaceable Christmas memory. As we laughed and cut up, I began to see our relationship change, and ultimately a new friendship was born. He doesn’t come around too much anymore, but when he does come, I am able to see a change in him. While I do not take credit for any of this, I do cling to the idea that the small act of love that was shown that winter day has opened wide doors for us both.

These are just two of the many, many, many examples of love played out in everyday life at the Campus.
Maggie is my right-hand woman at the Campus, or maybe it would be more accurate to say that I am her right-hand man. We were both born on December 31, 1980 (I'm a few hours older), and somehow ended up doing the same job at the same place. Maggie and I make a good team because we have very different personalities. As she describes it, she's the spaz, and I'm the laid back one. Maggie's sister worked at the Campus until earlier this year, and her mom just started as a staff member after many years of volunteering. When Maggie's not running around cleaning and organizing things at mach speed, she is very good at working with people, never failing to show love even after people aren't so loving toward her (Maggie will thank me for not citing any recent examples). Of everyone who works at the Campus, Maggie is probably one of the ones most naturally gifted for her particular job.

No comments: