Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Tennessee Waltz

Here are some pictures to illustrate what's been going on in my life for the last month or so. I love hearing back from those who read my blog, so please remember to leave a comment every now and again with any reflections, questions or comments you might have for me. Also, remember that my blog posts can be e-mailed directly to you as I publish them, so please let me know if you are interested in that.

Click on the pictures and they should enlarge.


The Indiana State women's basketball team played in the Holiday Tournament at Vanderbilt right before Christmas. Michael and Douglas Shaw along with my brother Brian came down for the games. It was nice to see them and about 40 other Sycamore fans who made the trip.


The final score of the tournament's championship game: #13 Vanderbilt 89, Indiana State 75. It was a very respectable showing for playing the 13th best team in the NCAA on its home floor.


With all the attention that had to be given to my grandpa's illness during December, the tree at home didn't get decorated until the 23rd. The Moles family tree was shaped like a Hershey's Kiss this year.


Back in Nashville: January 6

Since we are in the Nashville Epiphany Project, we celebrated Epiphany by cooking dinner together. Tara, Patrick and I made some chicken fajitas and a pear-chocolate-ice cream desert out of Tara's new Rachael Ray cookbook.



It was a nice surprise to come home this past Monday night to a birthday party! Since my actual birthday was New Year's Eve, my roommates threw me a little party on Martin Luther King Day. "Jefe" is my nickname around the Toolshed. Jefe (pronounced "heffay" for us non-Spanish speakers) means "boss." I think I got that nickname because I am the oldest and, of course, who would question my authority?

I was warmly welcomed.


Patrick cooked dinner, which was potato soup. He did a good job!





After dinner, we played one of my favorite games: Trivial Pursuit 90's Edition. Tara and Chasie won.






We had the unique opportunity to attend Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen's Inaugural Balls last night. He especially wanted me there because I have become such an important part of this state. Okay, so maybe we went because we saw that free tickets were available to the public, and we were lucky enough to get them. In this picture is country singer (can you imagine that in Nashville?) Josh Gracin, who apparently was on American Idol.


Governor Bredesen (a Democrat!) and First Lady Andrea Conte danced the official first dance of his second term to "The Tennessee Waltz." The Pioneer Ball was held at The Wildhorse Saloon, which is the place where they used to film that line dancing tv show.





The night was a lot of fun, and it was definitely an interesting people-watching event.




There was another ball at BB King's Blues Club, and our tickets were actually for it, but it was too crowded.

Of course the Governor wanted my opinions on policy matters, so he was sure to come over and talk with me. Well, at least he shook my hand and thanked me for being there. Unfortunately, my camera takes so long to actually take a picture, I have a picture from about 3 seconds later.


Jo Dee Messina was the headliner of the Pioneer Ball.



All of Tennessee's finest were there.


All three of us saw people we knew at the Ball. Tara saw a high school guy she met through Conexion Americas. Chasie saw a friend from Rhodes College (who is an actual Rhodes Scholar). I saw some homeless friends when we were outside afterward. Not being able to walk around downtown anonymously is a side effect of working at the Campus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still reading, Jeff. I loved the pictures. Anonymous is sometimes overrated! Enjoy your week.

Anonymous said...

It is fun to see pictures of your exciting life. Having a day that your housemates are at home while you work isn't all bad when they prepare a party in your honor!

Nice shirt that you wore to the inaugural ball!